Thursday, August 28, 2008

BFLFW--Principle 2: Find Your Motivational Bulls-Eye

Principle 2 in the book deals with finding what really motivates you. It makes you dig deep and figure out why you want to lose weight and what is going help you fight the 4pm fight against the Oreo cookies.

Dr. Peeke suggests that you start with your Global Motivations. These are your general reasons for wanting to get fit. These generally fall into categories such as health, appearance, psychology, performancy, and relationships.

My Global Motivations have pretty much stayed the same since I started this program:

  • To be healthy and prevent disease
  • To look good in clothes
  • To have more energy

This is a great foundation, but it's generally not enough to get you through the tough parts of your day. What you need to do next is to figure out why you want to change. This next level is the Target Motivations. You need to dig deep for these, and they should be personal. Here are mine from the first time I went through the exercise:

  • I am tired of the pain.
  • I am tired of being tired all the time.
  • I am sick of frumpy clothes.

The next step is to identify each Target Motivation and put a run to/from mantra for each one. OK. I admit it. This seemed way too weird for me at first. Still, I did it. You know what? It worked. It really worked. This is the step that made the absolute biggest difference in my life. This is what gave me the ammuntition to fight the 9pm munchies. This what gave me the power to get back into the gym. Here are my latest motivations and mantras.

FIRST RING
Motivation:
To honor God in what I do.

Mantra:
Run from the limited power of myself; run to the limitlessness of God.

SECOND RING
Motivation:
To love and honor myself.

Mantra:
Stop neglecting my body, my spirit, and my mind. Understand that I deserve to be healthy and that I do have the discipline to truly take care of myself.

THIRD RING
Motivation:
To be a great wife and a great mom.

Mantra:
Stop abandoning Ron and Ben; run to loving them. Ron needs a wife who can stand with him and FIGHT. Ben needs a mom to help him grow to be healthy He needs a mom who has the energy to run, jump, and play.

FOURTH RING
Motivation:
Look good in jeans, a belt, and a tucked-in button–down white shirt
Look good in running clothes

Mantra:
Run from frumpy, dumpy big shirts; run to fitted white shirt
Run from oversized t-shirts

FIFTH RING
Motivation:
Run a marathon.
Run a 34-minute 5K

Mantra:
Run from being an invalid; run to being an athlete

Remember, these motivations are personal. What is it that you really, really want? Even if it seems goofy, try doing this exercise. Don't just think the answers. Write them down. Look at them from time to time. I hope this principle is as helpful to you as it was to me.

No comments: